Apple has revealed the winners of the 2023 App Store Awards, recognizing outstanding apps and games that have empowered users to explore new adventures, express their creativity, and connect with others. This year's recipients, selected by the App Store's Editorial team, represent developers from around the world who have provided users with exceptional experiences and contributed to cultural change through their creations.
The winners span various categories, highlighting the diversity and innovation within Apple's ecosystem.
Apps of the Year
- iPhone: AllTrails — A fitness and hiking app that helps users discover new routes and connect with like-minded outdoor enthusiasts.
- iPad: Prêt-à-Makeup — A digital makeup sketchpad for makeup artists and enthusiasts, promoting inclusivity and self-expression.
- Mac: Photomator — A powerful photo editor supporting over 600 RAW photo formats.
- Apple TV: MUBI — A streaming service featuring high-quality films from renowned and emerging filmmakers.
- Apple Watch: SmartGym — A fitness app that creates personalized workout plans and tracks their effectiveness.
Games of the Year
- iPhone: Honkai: Star Rail — A role-playing game from the makers of Genshin Impact, featuring tactical combat and a captivating narrative.
- iPad: Lost in Play — An adventure game with puzzle elements that takes players on a fantastical journey.
- Mac: Lies of P — A soul-like action role-playing game inspired by the tale of Pinocchio.
- Apple Arcade: Hello Kitty Island Adventure — A delightful life simulation game featuring the beloved Hello Kitty character.
Cultural Impact Winners
In addition to recognizing the best apps and games, Apple's App Store Editors selected five winners in the "Cultural Impact" category for their ability to drive positive change:
- Pok Pok — A digital toy room for children that fosters inclusivity and creativity.
- Proloquo — An augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) app for individuals with speech impairments.
- Too Good To Go — An app that connects users with surplus food from restaurants and stores at affordable prices, reducing food waste.
- Unpacking — A meditative game simulating the process of moving and exploring personal connections.
- Finding Hannah — A colorful coming-of-age hidden-object game that explores themes of healing and self-discovery.
Trend of the Year
Generative AI emerged as the trend of the year, with many apps integrating AI technology in various ways. While these technologies are still evolving, they offer users a firsthand look at the potential benefits and risks of AI. In addition to the award winners, App Store Editors worldwide highlighted a collection of generative AI apps that exemplify this trend.